The ban on rental evictions has been extended for another four weeks, bringing the total ban to six months, the housing secretary Robert Jenrick MP announced on Friday (August 21).
Renters affected by the pandemic will continue to be protected after the government extended the ban on rental evictions to September 20, meaning no legal evictions will have taken place for a total of six months.
The government has also announced that landlords are now required to provide tenants with six months’ notice of eviction, with the exception of serious issues such as those involving anti-social behaviour and domestic abuse. The new six month notice period will be in place until at least March 31.
Robert Jenrick MP said: “I know this year has been challenging and all of us are still living with the effects of Covid-19, that is why I am announcing a further four week ban on evictions.
“I am also increasing protections for renters – six month notice periods must be given to tenants, supporting renters over winter.”
Earlier this month, Stepchange Debt Charity and campaign group Generation Rent warned half a million may lose their homes once the rental eviction ban was lifted.
StepChange has announced it “welcomes” the government’s decision. A spokesperson for the charity said: “Although it has come at the last minute, we’re pleased to see that ministers have listened to the concerns raised across the advice sector about the risks of a wave of evictions.
“However, this extension will be useless unless the time is used to introduce protections for people in financial hardship.”